Saturday, January 17, 2009

The choir sings sweetly

What a strange coincidence that I discover a band I really like on the day they are scheduled to perform SNL. I had never heard of the Fleet Foxes until today, when I was searching iTunes for a new album to purchase with some Christmas giftcards. "Baroque harmonic pop jams" is how they describe their music. That description is right on. I don't know how they escaped my radar, except that I have sort of been out of the real world loop for about a year, having been mostly confined to a dial up PC since the death of my old laptop. But! It is 2009, and I have a beautiful new red Dell to return to life.

Which has nothing to do with baseball. In fact, I can't really think of any way to connect it to baseball. Usually I can at least stretch it, but I'm lost on this one. No connection to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" or "Centerfield" or any of the other baseball songs I start to listen to come about February when the desperation for the game becomes nearly unbearable.

I have to recommend The Boxer Rebellion's new album, Union that came out last week. It's a digital release only - they have no label, no radio play, and no press, but they're already outselling bands like Coldplay and Kings of Leon on iTunes. This is one of the few bands I've fallen in love with from the opening notes of the first song I've ever heard of theirs.

NOW onto baseball. Well, there's nothing baseball to talk about today. One of these days I'd like to write about American League team names, but I'll save it for another day. There are bigger things happening this weekend than baseball.
___

No comments: