Thursday, December 18, 2008

This is the FIRST professional team, America

So I take this quiz where you have have three minutes to name every Major League team, right? I ended up blanking on the Royals when I had one team to go. Sorry, KC fans, but honestly, it has nothing to do with the state of your franchise and everything to do with the fact that I tend to panic under such time constraints.

When I looked to see what team I had missed, I discovered that only 63% of those who took the quiz were able to name the Reds, the lowest percentage of any team. This, a storied franchise who had one of the greatest teams ever and who played in one of the greatest World Series ever, a team who has won more World Series than all but three four teams (Phillies just got another, and the Red Sox technically have more, but most of them occurred before people drove automobiles), and only 63% of the people can name the Reds?

Well, I don't think there is anyone who still pretends that baseball is America's pastime. (Maybe the Fox World Series producers who run the half hour of drivel before the games begin.)
___

No comments: