Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Heeeeere's Johnny!

Wow, what a strange thing it is to look back upon the start of the season and try to recall any sort of hope you had then. I came across this photo of Johnny Cueto's first Major League pitch when I inserted my flash drive into the computer, and man, am I sad now.

Cueto's done his part. You can't expect a rookie to win 20 games. But this was Game 3, my second game of the season, and the rain and the cold couldn't put a damper on the excitement and hope I felt for the new year and for this new Pedro.

What a game! Ten strikeouts in seven innings - took a no hitter into the sixth for his Major League debut against those who are now the first place Arizona Diamondbacks. If only more people had been there to witness history, but it was a cold, rainy day and the season was only three games old.

I saw Bruce's Major League debut, too, but it was on the wrong day. I went to Opening Day, and he should have been there, roaming centerfield, playing before He Who Has Bad Photos of Dusty.

Ah well, such is the nature of baseball, a young season filled with hope turned into a life of despair. But hey, we do have some things to look forward to.
___

No comments: