Monday, May 05, 2008

What is wrong with the Reds

That is not a question, it's a title. What is wrong with the Reds is simple, brought to light today in Hal McCoy's blog:

I should have listened to one of the players who told a friend DURING spring training, “We stink.”


With attitudes like that, it's no wonder they really do stink.

Of course, Hal McCoy stinks these days, too. He's already thrown in the towel for the season, evidenced by his "Out of it by Mother's Day" post. Why in the world anyone would want to play in Cincinnati with the attitude of the fans and media is beyond me.

That clubhouse needs a shakeup. The Reds need to bring in players who WANT to be there, not the I get a paycheck jerks that have been leading this team in its losing for so long. Ok, so maybe Dunn can't be sent to the minors. But Bruce can certainly play in his spot for awhile. (I'm not a Dunn hater like many in Cincinnati, but I do think he needs to take a break to get his head on straight.)

I wonder who said it. We stink. I can imagine it coming out of Griffey's mouth. Dunn's too. Freel? Yeah, I can believe that. Arroyo? Yes. And maybe he just got his pronouns mixed. Brandon Phillips? Could have been him, too. I can't see any of the other guys saying that. I put my money on Junior.

But sorry, it's not over. Last year, the Rockies were 12-17 at this point. They were six games out at the end of July and had an amazing run to make it to the World Series. The Reds are similar to the Rockies team of last year in that they have a lot of unproven young guys, but it's early enough that they don't have to make an amazing run. There are still 130 games left. They will hit. They have always hit.

Have some faith. Hey Reds players, get your heads out of your butts and have some faith, too.

No comments: