Thursday, May 08, 2008

I had a dream

A baseball dream. I was at Spring Training, only it was now and the games actually counted. But the minor league teams all got to play before the Reds played at night. They wore Reds uniforms like they do in ST. We were watching the Dragons play a team called the Indians, though I don't think they were from Indianapolis. I went over to the players entrance because I wanted to wish Devin Mesoraco - the Reds 2007 first round draft catcher who was promoted yesterday to low A Dayton - good luck for his first professional game (I guess the GCL Reds of last year didn't count). Though he was the right height (the guy is on the short side in real life), he came in with large black sunglasses and curly black hair resembling an afro and didn't acknowledge my presence when I wished him luck. Why would he, as I was lying on the asphalt in the parking lot with a notebook open? Just another freak of a fan, I guess. This was right after there was something to do with aquarium fish, but I don't recall what that was about. And cats. And very tiny turtles in a sink. I remember trying to keep them from washing down the drain.

We sat on bleachers and before the game started, some guy in a full chieftan headdress came around and passed out little figures of their mascot giving the finger with cracked birds eggs running down it. Yeah, weird. I thought so in the dream, too, so I ignored the guy when he tried to hand me mine, but as soon as he passed, I wanted one and proceeded to go to the end of the bleachers to accept my strange gift. But he wouldn't give it to me, said I had my chance. Then I got the bright idea to go to the military recruits section. I put on BDUs so he wouldn't recognize me, but one of the recruits - they were on a special day away from basic training - got into trouble and so everyone in a military uniform had to do push ups. There were people from all four branches, but the Navy had to wear their dress whites while the rest of us wore BDUs. Then I heard the crowd scream so I got up and ran back to the game. I had missed Mesoraco's first home run, and he was the guy I had wanted to see play.

I woke up in a good mood, though, because I had just been at a baseball game, demented as it seemed.
___

No comments: