Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sarasota in brief

The game was called after four and a half innings, so yeah, it rained. But it was 76 degrees. The PA announcer tried to cheer us up by telling us it was 30 degrees in Cleveland and 34 in Cincinnati. It worked. I'd much rather be getting rained on in a ballpark than getting snowed on somewhere else!

I have traveled to five continents, thirty-something countries, and thirty-two states in the US, but this is the first time I've ever been to Florida. My impression of Florida was that the only people who languished here were old people and tourists. I laughed as we got behind two seniors who were barely moving up the ramp as we disembarked the plane, my first experience on Florida soil backing up my idea, which hasn't left me since. The game yesterday was full of retirees, retirees who knew how to sit and watch a baseball game. There wasn't all of that getting up and down during innings or talking on cell phones or screaming, writhing children who get everything they want and spend more time on the playground than they do in their seats. It was enjoyable to be there, watching a baseball game surrounded by others who were watching a baseball game and who wanted to watch a baseball game.

Ed Smith feels like a minor league stadium with Little League fields behind it. It was full yesterday - there were rumors of a sellout but there were still a few seats around. Once the rains came, there were plenty of seats.

We arrived at the complex early to check out the happenings. The minor league pitchers and catchers were there for their first day of practice. The only names on the backs of shirts that I knew were Viola, Klinker, and 2007 number one draft pick Mesorosco. I watched him hit a bit before I abandoned him for the "real Reds" who had come out to take BP.

I've taken plenty of photos, but we're getting ready to head over to Lakeland to see the Tigers take on the Phillies so I'll have to post them later along with a full description of yesterday's baseball experience. The Reds are down in sold-out Fort Myers today to take on the Red Sox. It's beautiful right now, sun is shining, weather is sweet. The sun that hid from us yesterday is sure to sting us with redness today.
___

No comments: