Saturday, March 01, 2008

Thinking back...

Do you think that if you imagine hard enough, you can't transplant yourself someplace? I mean, I could almost feel the warm Florida air while listening to today's game, at least until Gary Majewski came in to pitch. That always makes my stomach turn.

I was sitting in a place with five Reds pictures hanging in it. One is a treasure, a photo of the Big Eight sitting on a tractor with the words "big red machine" on it. It is signed by all of them. To the left of it is a picture of Rose - it isn't labled, but I'm sure it is number 4192. Bruce Bochy is catching and everyone at Riverfront is standing, even the Reds in the dugout. Next to it is a photo of Bench tagging out Willie Stargell at home. On the other side of the autographed photo is the picture of the Big Red Machine celebrating on the mound after winning a World Series. At the far end is a photo of some players standing on a baseline during the national anthem.

I think about the guys we have now, the younger guys like Dunn, Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Encarnacion, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Burton, Roenicke and wonder, can the Reds ever come close to that again? Can the Reds field a team whose starting lineup included three Hall of Famers and two more who should be in the Hall?

I'm only sad that I missed all the glory. I was born too late.

No comments: