Monday, February 11, 2008

2008 Promotions

I was just handed a Reds pocket schedule at one of my favorite restaurants, which is remarkable considering it is in Sidney, Ohio and I am one of those "world travelers." The thrill to see the new season in print is amazing. But I am perplexed by a few things.:

1. Why is there a promotion during the Red Sox series (June 14)? Yes, I want the team flag, but isn't seeing the Red Sox enough of a promotion?

2. No way I'm going to a game with dogs (Sept 17). It's far time people in this country realize that dogs are not people. But I guess it's cool if there is a dog day. As long as there is a cat day. And a fish day. And a bird day. And an iguana day.

3. Build a Bear (Aug 10). My question is this...do kids actually get to build a bear, or are they given some stuffed doll with Build A Bear on a label somewhere?

Why am I so grumpy? I wanted to write something poetic about the upcoming baseball season, but my heart keeps staring at the crap on E$PN involving Roger Clemens and John Rocker (whom I actually agree with, for the only time in my life), and well, that part of the game sort of sucked my soul out of my thoughts this evening. I believe in the Church of Baseball. I'm sick of the parts about demons, though. Here are some things not so grumpy:

4. Brandon Phillips bobblehead day (May 17). I'll be there. He's the spark plug. Versus the team that gave him away.

5. Fleece Blanket day (April 19). I'll be there. I have a Nationals one and a Phillies one (which I got at a Reds game.) It's time to have one of my favorite team. And it's even in the right part of the season.

6. Joe Nuxhall Night (June 10). We miss ya, Joe.

7. 1980s Themed Bobblehead night (July 25). I better get a Larkin. It'd be cool with a number 15 on it.

8. Bronson Arroyo designed t-shirt night (Aug 9). Actually, I might not want one of these...

9. Baseball Card Day (Aug 31). I used to try to persuade my mom to take us to these games as a kid. Sometimes, I succeeded.

I also want one of those Harang growth charts (April 20). They had a Griffey growth chart - perhaps in 2000? - and my mom paid some kids $5 each to get three of them. Looks like we're gonna hafta do it again unless I can borrow some kids...

What other game do we get excited about two positions reporting to camp? None. None! Pitchers and catchers report at the end of the week. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Spring is coming! Be happy!

Check out the schedule for other promotions!

No comments: