Monday, November 26, 2007

Bullpen thoughts

I've been thinking more about the Francisco Cordero deal and I just can't console myself when thinking about how a whole winter stands between us and the new season! I want it to start now!

The Reds converted only 34 of 61 saves (according to Mark Sheldon) last year. Think about that. The league average for blown saves was 14. We had 27. If we had been average, we could have won the same number of games as the Chub$ and perhaps even the division.

Well, we didn't - didn't even come close. But this year, we could win more. A bullpen of Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Bray, and Coutlangus, plus two others (oh, well, I guess Stanton has to be in there. Stupid contract.) would be much more effective.

I wonder, though, about the other spot. Will Coffey be traded? Do we have to put up with Majewski, and if we do, will he bounce back from his suckitude? What about Brad Salmon and Marcus McBeth? And is there a chance that we can get rid of Stanton? So many questions, but the biggest one has been answered.

As terrible as the pen was last year, they really did settle down in the last couple of months. So, things are looking bright, even through my Pete colored lenses.

No comments: