Sunday, August 19, 2007

Abe here, filling in for disappointed Daedalus

Two score and five years ago, some architects gave us RFK Stadium.

The stadium, though multipurpose, was built with baseball in mind, as the city was trying to get the Senators back after losing them the previous year to Minnesota. The 1961 season - the first for the expansion Senators - was played at Griffith Stadium located two blocks from where Daedalus used to live. What was then known as DC Stadium was ready in the fall of 1961, so the Washington Redskins got to play there first. The Redskins were good in that stadium. The Senators were not, and they moved away to Texass in 1971.

Luckily, we got baseball back in 2005. The team honored me last night. I sat in section 458 out in centerfield, so I got to see a lot of Carlos Beltran and Nook Logan. Can someone explain to me why Nook Logan is starting in center instead of Ryan Church? That Wily Mo trade was a good one, but Church is getting screwed again! Logan is batting .273/.323/.359 to Church's .264/.342/.433. While Church's numbers aren't great, he's certainly a more valuable player than freaking Nook.

This is me going to get a beer after the Nationals get the Mets out. Boy, those Mets sure have some good players, don't they? Jose Reyes is one of my favorite baseball players. And David Wright, too! It's just too bad the Nats couldn't pull out a win for my special day at the ballpark. It was kind of a boring game - they just didn't get on base enough for my excitement.

Now, I'm a very honest person, but I don't think those umps were very honest in their calls last night. During one inning, each of the four umps made questionable calls. We couldn't watch the replays on the scoreboard because of the whole "controversy" rule. That should be changed. Umpires should be held accountable for their miserable failures.

It was a beautiful summer night, not hot, not muggy, just a perfectly pleasant evening except for the losing. We don't have too many of these warm nights left - better enjoy them all now before it gets cool. Kind of makes me sad that we don't have too many nights of baseball left in this dump of a ballpark, either.

Daedalus said it was weird seeing Young, Lopez, Kearns, and Pena in the starting lineup, like she was watching the Reds. She and her friend kept yelling "Go Reds!" half the night. The Reds lost to the Sausages, so they were both bummed about that. Speaking of Sausages, I won the President's race last night. Yay for me!

No comments: