Monday, June 04, 2007

The Beach (like the book)

Sorry for lack of posting - once I found the hidden beach, everything else around me faded...I suppose it is because I spent the first five years of my life on the beaches of San Diego, but I feel most at peace while lying on sand and hearing waves crash against the shore.

There used to be a train line that ran directly from DC to Chesapeake Beach, as it was a popular place for DCers to go in the summer. The Depression killed that, and the last train chugged in there in 1935. Now, it is "Maryland's Best Kept Secret." What a wonderful last Saturday afternoon I had, sitting on a beach, watching the sailboats, reading a book, contemplating life, and not bothered by a crowd of people or anything else in the world. So nice to get away from DC for a day - it feels like another planet out there on that beach, and it reminds me of the little lakes in Ohio with small cottages - nothing fancy except the appreciation of being near the water. And those crab cakes at that restaurant I've been going to...the thrill of getting a tiny piece of shell to prove the freshness of the crabs! What a wonderful diversion from the absolutely appalling state of my baseball teams!

Once I was enslaved by this blog - I felt like I had to post something every day or else everyone would disappear. Somehow the shackles have been loosed; perhaps it took a pathetic early season for me to remember there was life outside of baseball? I really like blogging about baseball, though. Losing stinks, doesn't it? And though I still feel like things can turn around, and though I am ecstatic that Homer is starting this weekend, and though Griffey is reminding me of younger times, I must admit that I haven't been watching every game.

But I will not miss Homer's MLB debut for anything. Not even the beach.

No comments: