Monday, April 02, 2007

We expected the lights to explode

There aren't many ways you can have a better Opening Day. Your underrated ace goes 7 innings and gives up no earned runs, your power guy hits two homers - including his 200th career homer, and your Roy Hobbs gets a huge standing ovation when he pinch hits and only a rob by the leftfielder prevents him from getting a hit in his first Major League at bat. Matt Murton - you are on the very black list. You guys were gonna lose anyway. You could has missed that catch on purpose! ;)

I can't imagine a better Opening Day. When I saw that standing ovation for Josh Hamilton, tears streamed down my cheeks. I couldn't help it. Here is a guy who never played above A ball, who succumbed to the dark side of drugs and almost ruined his career, and he stood at the plate in a beautiful new Cincy uniform, unable to help his huge grin, and hit the ball like he belonged in the Majors. He will be the Reds starting centerfielder by June, I'm sure of it.

The Reds will play baseball in October. You statheads ;) can mock me all you like, but there is something special about this team, something you can't quantify.

This feeling I have right now - this is what Heaven feels like. Life is beautiful, isn't it?

No comments: