Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Is it deja vu all over again?

There is this woman at the deli where I usually get my lunch who has me thinking of not going there anymore. The reason? Because every single day since she started working as cashier two months ago she tries to stuff my lunch in a plastic bag and every single day I tell her I don't need one. I don't need to contribute to even more waste on this overburdened planet when all I am doing is carrying a sandwich. How after two months can someone still not remember the habits of a daily customer, especially after I've told her several times that a plastic bag for one sandwich is a waste? I mean, the guy behind the deli doesn't have to ask if I want everything on my sandwich because he knows the answer is yes, even when I get different kinds of sandwiches. She is either one of the most oblivious people on the planet or one of the dumbest.

Today's bag episode got me thinking about Jerry Narron and Wayne Krivsky. No-hit utility infielders, ancient relievers, third catchers, and hasbeen veterans are the plastic bags of the Reds. Jerry and Wayne continue to try to push them on our team even though they show everyday they aren't needed.

The latest of these seems to be Mark Bellhorn. Bellhorn has been in the lineup everyday since the start of Spring Training games, which has me wondering if they are seriously considering giving him a spot on the roster. John Fay seems to think so, not that I consider Fay the epitome of inside information.

C. Trent says,
"bellhorn's abs may go down now that conine's back. but keppinger had really impressed so far. kepp does have options, though. dude can hit, that's all i can say"
Keppinger would have been a much better choice if indeed Freel and Castro are not sufficient enough for utility infielders. Poor guy.

I hope Robin Goodfellow is right:
I don't think Bellhorn makes the team. Maybe I'm going "Ollie Stone" again but I think Bellhorn is here because well, somebody has to be here. You bring in a veteran. A competitor. A pro. A World Series ring. You hope that the kids are a little bit awed, a little bit enamored, a little bit inspired. (A litle bit- or a lot- frightened and motivated.) And you thank Bellhorn for the nearly thankless job by giving him as many ABs as early as possible in March so that if the phone rings and it's the Kansas City Royals calling because their ">>insert injured Royals' infielder here<<" is banged up for few weeks then you can pat Bellhorn on the butt and send him and on his way to Nowheresville.

No comments: