Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday Fodder - My Office

This is my office. There is no doubt what my favorite sport is, is there? It is a great office - more space than I need, but that is a good thing. I don't use the overhead light but rely on a series of three lamps, as fluorescent lighting is depressing and gives me a headache. I'd much rather be outside at the ballpark!


As you can see, I have an extra monitor connected to my laptop. When I was asked if I wanted the extra monitor, the first thing I thought of was that it'd be perfect for watching day games throughout the season. Yeah, I'm actually more productive when I'm watching games than not. I can't wait for the season to start so I can try it out!


Here is a close up of my "spontaneous" Nats cap next to a Reds sundae helmet. The "spontaneous" cap is for when I decide to go to games after work that were not planned. If I have plans to go to the game, I'll bring in my game cap, shown here. (I took the photo of Abu Hol - The Great Sphinx of Giza - behind the hats on a work trip to Cairo.)


This is an actual baseball that is a great stress reliever. Often, when I'm stuck on a project and unable to find the words to write, I grab the ball and toss it in the air until the words come. (There are only so many ways you can talk about corporate governance or economic reform.) Sometimes people come and and grab it and do the same thing, but I'm not too fond of that, especially when they drop it.


Here is my calendar - I actually took the photo on Wednesday, so it was current then. Today's Reds trivia says "The Reds play their home games in Great American Ballpark (they spell ballpark correctly), which is situated alongside the Ohio River which separates Ohio from Kentucky. Who is the first player to hit a home run into the river?" I believe the only player to ever hit a ball into the river was Adam Dunn.


This is my "To Do" board. I got it in September and immediately wrote the titles "At Bat," "On Deck," and "In the Hole."

My office is full of baseball fans, which is great, because a conversation about the game every now and then is inevitable. And since we are a bunch of bleeding-heart-save-the-world types in my organization (despite promoting global capitalism), we enjoy the soulful side of the game - "the poetry of baseball" - and our discussions are often the type you'd find on this blog.

No comments: