Sunday, May 07, 2006

IT'S A BASEBALL GAME, FOR CHRISSAKES!

I'm angry. I've never been angry after a baseball game before, but last night's 11th inning loss may have been the last straw for me. I've been to seven Nats games this year - they've lost all seven. (Granted, I was rooting for the Reds during three games, but come on!) I was pissy after the game, and some drunken Marines who were shouting country songs on the Metro exacerbated that anger. My mood was further soured when I got home and found out the Reds lost their second consecutive game.

I lost my voice last night screaming in desperation, as if my weak voice could make up for the lack of cheering by soulless suburbia who attend the games, sitting there like they are watching a golf game or something. This was an awesome game for a baseball fan; it had a bit of everything. Yeah, I'm not just sick of the losing. I'm also sick of the pathetic Nationals fans. It was a beautiful Saturday night, yet only 29K+ showed up, and those who were there just sat on their rumps during rally attempts. I got a few dirty looks when I started shouting, "Come on, suburbia, get up and cheer!" Half the stadium emptied out when the score was tied at the end of the ninth. Some six year old kid turned to me and said "That's enough" during the second inning when I was clapping. In some of the other games I've attended, I've heard people tell others to sit down, to shut up, and to "annunciate your cheers." I am starting to understand why this city lost two baseball teams.

I think a letter to the editor of WaPo is in order.

Fire Frank! Fire Bowden! Fire Paciorek! Fire someone, anyone!

No comments: